Saturday, November 3, 2012

But the day wasn't over...


After the four generations of Paylors parted for the present, mom and baby stole some time alone to nap and make googly eyes. 

By phone, I navigated the Raufer grandparents through the back, alternative, lesser traveled back way from the highway, since the highway was closed for the weekend, and the regular back roads were clogged. 

Linda had made a roast and vegetables in the crock pot, and dinner was ready, but no one wanted to eat... they came for one reason: 




Pop-pop, Granny, and Aunt Carolyn brought Attison's first mail from New Jersey! An "I love you" card from his cousin Allison. He was so happy he burped. 


After camouflaging with the sofa slip cover, Tim and Dennis made a Skype call to Grandmom Raufer. 


We told him look at the camera, but he was distracted. My Grandmom and Aunt Kathy watched Attison yawn, and mostly act bored, but we loved every second. They told us about how Aunt June is out buying gas to drive up to Aunt Denise and Uncle Ali, so they can run their generator (it might be another week or more before they get power), and how Aunt Sue's newly restored power was becoming the hot spot for neighbors to plug in their cell phones. 
As much as we love New Jersey, I don't think that Attison and Sandy would have gotten along well, and I am grateful that for all the challenges that come with birth, a hurricane wasn't one of them. 

Today was a great day for phone calls too. I got to talk to Uncle David, my godfather, and to my good friend Steve, who was calling from his new home in Bolivia. Attison's friends are all over the world. We got an email today from Steph's friend Shelly in Malawi with the peace corps. 
If anyone wants a comical, colorful, and eloquent account of life in Bolivia, I recommend Steve's blog.  
Shelly's blog is quite a beautiful place, too.

Having a baby makes you think about family; the ones that are close, and the ones that are far, that are with us, and that have moved on, the ones who are reading this, and the ones to whom we forgot to send the link. It is a humbling time. I hope to soon share some of the memories that this child has stirred. 
Requiescat in Pace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment